Originally written for Flickering Myth.
If you’re not all caught up yet, check out my review for TMNT #40! There might be minor spoiler for the issues if you you’re not up to date!
“Attack on Technodrome” begins! Time is short as Krang accelerates his plan to terraform the Earth… which will kill all who live on it! A surprise alliance results in a daring plan—and the stakes have never been higher!”
Here it comes. After 3 years the Technodrome is ready to rumble! Before Northampton. Before Dark Leo. Before Slash. The IDW series has been building up to this for a long time.
He may peak on the villain, but the quality is high throughout, from adult conversations to backgrounds, they’re all covered well. Do Pattison’s colours suit Smith’s work more I find myself wondering? Perhaps they do.
Throw in one very cool pose for Leonardo and you’ve got yourself a top notch picture book.
But it doesn’t end there! Despite one clumsy piece of dialogue that stuck out to me I still find myself impressed how Tom Waltz manages to juggle so many threads whilst making sure none feel neglected. Most of the major characters get moments in this issue. All feel useful and none feel rushed. The relationship between the words on the page and the expressions on faces is brilliant, and this is perfectly highlighted in the exchanges between Donatello and Harold. When things are meshing this well together you don’t need page after page to get the message across. Surely based purely on content per page this is one of strongest entries on the shelves?
The team still manage to fit some action in this issue. It’s good to see Leo back his old self and seemingly on his A-game after a long period of turmoil. The Mutanimals are proving their worth too, with the two groups complimenting each other well. But what they’re coming up against extremely daunting. Will there be any big shake ups? No doubt. IDW have jumped into another big story arc which could change the landscape forever….literally.
TMNT Tidbits! Watch out for spoilers.
- Shredder has himself quite the group of mutants now doesn’t he?
- Can’t shake the feeling that Bludgeon should have trouble breathing. Oh well. In a world this crazy maybe I should let it go.
- The turtles are going to hit the roof when they find out what Metalhead and Donnie have been up to. Unless they know…..
- Honeycutt…I hope he hasn’t made a massive mistake with Stockman, who I really don’t like. Their back and forth is good though.
- Do Shredder’s more elite soldiers look different each time? Did Metalhead just stroll through up the point at which they stop him?
- The training run was fun to read. Different skills coming together, with their proud parents looking on.
- I can’t help but wonder if a full on assault on The Foot is the right thing though. Splinter does seems a bit blinded to me.
- The look on Harold’s face, and his dialogue, when he knows Donnie can’t see or hear is heart warming. Friends!