Originally written for Flickering Myth.
Not caught up yet? Here’s my review for Turtles in Time #1
There is so much going on in this issue that I can’t talk about in the main review due to my avoidance of spoilers. Suffice to say the turtles are given the chance to fundamentally change the status quo, and it’s completely understandable why they might.
Charles Paul Wilson III takes on art duties with Jeremy Mohler on colours. They complement each other well, with the muted tone matching the time period and situation the characters are in. Whilst I can see it’s a good fit for the piece, I’m not so keen on the design of the turtles at the start of the issue. They soon adopt samurai armour though, and in these panels they (and Charles) rock the shell out of it.
Any similarities with the third live action atrocity can be left at the door. This time travel story is so much stronger that it’s not worth comparing the two.
I am feeling a touch put out by not being sure where this series fits into the IDW chronology. We know that the 2014 TMNT Annual was delayed, so I’m assuming that will introduce to the time traveller Renet properly. But right now I can’t reconcile this story against what’s going on in the main title. Continuity has been strong though so I expect in time it will all come together.
We’re halfway through the series now, and we’ve seen so much already! Issue 2 is more serious than the first, with the chance of some strong ramifications for everyone involved. Very different, but both very good. Looking forward to issue 3! If you haven’t picked up this series yet and consider yourself a TMNT fan, you need to catch up. This series could make for some interesting changes in the main series, and I hope it’s taken full advantage of.
- What a coincidence that they’d be sent back to the exact place where their former selves are? There has to be more to it.
- First Triceratons, and now poking around in their own history? It seems the TMNT are queuing up problems for themselves.
- Speaking of which, is this going to change the present when they get back to it?
- Come one Eastman, we need the annual so this can make sense!
- Leo did pretty well against Saki. Improvement post ‘Dark Leo’ or didn’t care so much about himself?
- Raph being calm makes for a nice change. Made sense in the story too.
- Enjoyed seeing Mikey play with himself enjoy time with his human baby form. Funny to see human Leo giving Leo and Raph the stink eye too.