Originally written for Flickering Myth.
If you’re not all caught up yet, check out my review for TMNT #42! There might be minor spoiler for the issues if you you’re not up to date!
“Attack on Technodrome” Part 3! A major battle on Burnow Island unfolds! Will the Turtles be able to help Fugitoid to deactivate the Technodrome before it’s too late? Meanwhile, Splinter and the Mutanimals go up against Karai and the Foot!”
We’re still in the thick of the battle on Burnow Island, and this issue provides a turning point for them. This could be their ‘darkest before the dawn’ moment, but it could never be plain sailing for them could it? I did find myself rooting for a certain ninja who names his soldiers after appendages, if you get my drift. He is an evil so and so, but the chap he’s fighting is an ugly piece of work. I’ve clearly come down on one side of a fight that I’ve been eagerly anticipating since issue 37, and it doesn’t disappoint.
Cory Smith has picked up the baton from Mateus Santolouco for work on this arc, and he’s running with it. Fantastic looking layouts that connect well with each other makes it easy to follow the various threads. One panel in particular, featuring an expression from Shredder, is so well done that I might make it my Twitter profile pic. Smith has nailed Mikey’s face this month too, with some great expressions. There’s some great sound effect work too, particularly the ‘BRAKK’ of machine gun fire. It all pops thanks to Ronda Pattison’s smart choice of colours. They really do work well together.
The clue is in the title for this arc, and it’s not letting us down with the amount of guns, swords, and punches on display. Most importantly it’s all serving a great story, one which easily maintains interest through its smaller plots whilst ramping up the danger and introducing several moments that leave me with baited breath for next month.
I want the TMNT and their allies to win, but I don’t want this story to end. It’s too exciting!
- The look on Shredder’s face when he loses half of his sword. Shock! Great colours on that panel.
- Donnie isn’t looking too hot right now is he?
- Splinter appears to be attempting to sew doubt in Karai’s mind. Reminds me of the current Nickelodeon series.
- Slash vs Hun! Should be a good one. I hope it gets some time next month.
- Hob is a git isn’t he? Hardly surprising him leaving Splinter, but his reasoning is particularly badly timed for my liking.
- Good to see Bludgeon getting some dialogue. I like his straightforward, don’t back down attitude. He’s a loyal man/shark/thing.
- I would love to punch Stockman in the face. He always has something going on doesn’t he? Slimey little toad.