Originally written for Flickering Myth.
If you’re not all caught up yet, check out my review for TMNT #41! There might be minor spoiler for the issues if you you’re not up to date!
“Part 2 of “Attack on Technodrome!” An unusual alliance makes its first moves as Fugitoid, Baxter, and Krang aim to outwit each other. The twists and turns are just beginning as the Technodrome is mere moments away from activation!”
Take #41 and add more. Sums it up nicely I think.
The ‘Attack on Technodrome’ arc is beginning to heat up, leaving us in no doubt that the next couple of issues are going to be right up there with the most important in the IDW run.
But that’s in the future. For now we have some awesome stuff to take in. To begin with we have a very nice selection of covers to choose from. I generally much prefer the main cover we’re presented with each month this time around I even like the Kevin Eastman version! A solid start indeed.
Last month I banged on about how delightfully insane and evil Krang is drawn by Cory Smith. That still stands (with some awesome facial expressions), but now you can add Baxter Stockman to the list of “I think Smith does it best” characters. He’s such a slimey so and so, with his devious smile and nature portrayed fantastically well through both his expression and body language. It backs up the dialogue extremely well.
Smith’s use of panels and how one flows into another should also be noted. Something in one panel can move through several more before snapping you to attention.
I’m not technically minded when it comes to art work and lettering, but I do love a good sound effect noise, so watch out for it. Foom! Smak!
The battle has started for the future of the planet and our heroes are playing a risky game. Though I’m sure they’ll come out on top (it’s their comic after all!), there are bound to be surprises coming up. With the sheer number of characters and motivations involved it can’t go smoothly. I find myself hoping they don’t pay too high a price. We’ve already lost Raphael and Leonardo in the past. Could it time for another hero to be taken out? Permanently perhaps?
Argh! Anticipation! I’d like to know what happens please. If that doesn’t tell you what I make of this arc so far I don’t know what will.
TMNT Tidbits! Watch out for spoilers.
- I knew it! It’s a set up!
- Leo you are a clever dude aren’t you? Using your own experience to figure out a plan. I guess Donatello helped too.
- Mikey always makes sense. I’d be terrified!
- I REALLY want to see Shredder and Krang seven shades out of each other. They deserve it. They’ve got it in for other and it’s about to blow up!
- Bebop and Rocksteady holding Donnie’s head is rather menacing. He’s got no chance against them.
- I wonder what Prof Miller is going to bring to the party? About time he stepped up.
- Splinter is a wise one, immediately seeing the error of his ways when he’s called out on it.
- I wonder if we’ll see the Nutrinos. Most characters seem involved on some level.
- I guess the human element removed Bludgeon’s reliance on being underwater? He still looks like a Street Shark.